• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

it can go both ways

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Professor Ven

The Tin Man
Awards
Well, Camilo101, Ven-Dono has a point in the "personalized Gods." There's many different denominations of Christianity; Jehovah's Witnesses, Protestants, Calvinists, Luthereans, Presbyterians, Baptists, Methodists..

And let's not forget the Catholics! People who need money and an older priest in gaudy clothing and a big hat to proclaim their faithfullness! I giggle at it all, because if people are such great Christians, then why don't they worship as Paul and the other early Christians did? IN A TENT. Nope, sorry; Christianity would lose converts, since most people expect to be in an air-conditioned/heated building.

Ergo, religion's become fluffy and soft. Simon Peter was crucified upside and down and burned alive for his sin, back when the pagan Romans were epic; I don't see anything near that caliber these days.

But yes, if Christianity didn't "idolize" it's version of God, then there wouldn't BE all these denominations. It'd be just one single church/religion, not many.

Camilo101

Well, Camilo101, Ven-Dono has a point in the "personalized Gods." There's many different denominations of Christianity; Jehovah's Witnesses, Protestants, Calvinists, Luthereans, Presbyterians, Baptists, Methodists..

And let's not forget the Catholics! People who need money and an older priest in gaudy clothing and a big hat to proclaim their faithfullness! I giggle at it all, because if people are such great Christians, then why don't they worship as Paul and the other early Christians did? IN A TENT. Nope, sorry; Christianity would lose converts, since most people expect to be in an air-conditioned/heated building.

Ergo, religion's become fluffy and soft. Simon Peter was crucified upside and down and burned alive for his sin, back when the pagan Romans were epic; I don't see anything near that caliber these days.

But yes, if Christianity didn't "idolize" it's version of God, then there wouldn't BE all these denominations. It'd be just one single church/religion, not many.

No you're thinking of people interpreting the Bible in different ways. The thing those sects have done is carried different interpretations of the Bible, but the difference between that and a personalized God is that a personalized God is based on your own desires and wishes, what you personally want a God to be like. This is not right, because for instance if you believe in a God that likes homosexuality, you're clearly not believing in the God of the Bible, who said, "Don't have sex with another man as you would a woman. I hate that." You see? I myself am not certain what every single difference in those Christian sects are, but I do know that they all use the Bible for their beliefs. It's true that they can interpret parts of the scripture differently, but as far as I know they don't have any beliefs that is not stated in the word.

The Catholics don't need money and gaudy clothings, it's just what they choose to do, because it's tradition for them. You could say they're the Orthodox Jews of Christianity. Jesus chose Simon called Peter to be the Pope, because his faith was so strong (Peter means rock), and he wanted a strong rock for the foundation of his church. Paul prayed in a tent because he was on a missionary journey, he traveled with a tent so that's where he prayed. There's nothing wrong with praying in a Church, it's a holy place, a house of God. I giggle at the fact that you think people shouldn't pray in a Church, I mean really where do you think of such things? Of course there's nothing wrong with *not* praying in a Church, you can pray anywhere. If you pray in a Church then you're just surrounded by more of God's followers.

I really don't understand what you're trying to say about Paul's death, and I already addressed your last point.

Professor Ven

The Tin Man
Awards
I really don't understand what you're trying to say about Paul's death, and I already addressed your last point.

A Christian who doesn't know how Simon Peter died?

Easy. Peter went to Rome, preached the Gospel, and the Pagan Romans, under Emperor Nero during this time, who was notorious for his hatred of Christians, had Peter crucified upside down, then set on fire; people built a shrine over his grave. Afterwards, early Christians began making pilgrimages to his burial site.

Later on, they built the original part of St. Peter's Basilica over his burial site, where now millions of people visit Vatican City to see it, and the monuments much like it; Will all of them appreciate such architectural beauty, the like of which will never be seen again?

Most likely not. They'll only know what the tour guides tell them, and what the pamphlets say.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
Actually, Peter wanted to be crucified upside down (didn't think he was worthy to die the same way Jesus died).

Camilo101

A Christian who doesn't know how Simon Peter died?

Easy. Peter went to Rome, preached the Gospel, and the Pagan Romans, under Emperor Nero during this time, who was notorious for his hatred of Christians, had Peter crucified upside down, then set on fire; people built a shrine over his grave. Afterwards, early Christians began making pilgrimages to his burial site.

Later on, they built the original part of St. Peter's Basilica over his burial site, where now millions of people visit Vatican City to see it, and the monuments much like it; Will all of them appreciate such architectural beauty, the like of which will never be seen again?

Most likely not. They'll only know what the tour guides tell them, and what the pamphlets say.

You incorrectly read my post. I know how Peter died, I said I don't understand the point of why you mentioned it. This is what you said. "Ergo, religion's become fluffy and soft. Simon Peter was crucified upside and down and burned alive for his sin, back when the pagan Romans were epic; I don't see anything near that caliber these days." Okay...so what's the point? Humanity has a brutally violent past you know, and we generally strive to do things more humane nowadays. Do you want criminals to be executed by hanging upside down on a cross??? What does people being less violent have to do with this topic?

Actually people probably appreciate the architecture greatly, considering how famous it is. They might not appreciate the *history* of the site, but I'm pretty sure they'll love the architecture. But still, people tend to visit historical sites because they are interested in the history of what they're looking at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back