• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Maian's art (Watercolor/Sketch/Tablet art)

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

maian

So, after owning a tablet for nearly an entire year and not getting any use out of it, I finally cracked down, bought two books, and started to get to work. I thought I'd share what I have here. Aside from exercises, I usually only draw something I'm into at the current moment, which right now, is Kingdom Hearts. Please, tell me what you think and don't be afraid of being a harsh critic.

Sirus
A character of mine, and the first creation I attempted with the tablet. It's very unfinished, and unfortunately, I haven't touched it in months. =/ I laid down some base coloring, and never added to it. Shading and lighting needs to be added onto every area, and without that, it's pretty lacking technically and stylistically. And the hair would look better if I wasn't too damn lazy to change my brush size when filling it in =X

Same picture as above, slight shading
The same as above, only with actual lighting/shading on the green part of his outfit. ...Unfortunately, I shut off all the other color layers when I did this and I think they ended up getting deleted, so this shading came at the expense of all the other color.

Eye
I've been doing a few exercises from the Painter book I got (Digital Character Design and Painting). This is one of them. Don't mind the practice lines on the side.

Tree
Another exercise. I never really finished it, but I'm content how it is. Almost reminds me of MM's moon tree. =|

Girl face
So, this was my first attempt at a full portrait picture. Ten bux goes to whoever guesses the video game character that I used as a vague base reference. Anyway, it came out completely how I didn't want it, largely due to a fact that I was following a tutorial that didn't work with my style at all. Even when I know I'm following instructions to draw something in its own style, I can't help myself from adding my own, which led to kind of a messy picture. Also, it should be noted that everything below the neck was done in about 30 seconds to a minute due to impatience. That lighting doesn't even make sense. So...disregard that.

Girl (Same as above, better)
Believe it or not, these two pictures both used the exact same sketch as the base before being colored. I like this one a whole lot more, and it came out how I actually intended. You'll notice her lips are actually closed (The "whistling" look in the above picture was actually just a coloring error, but I decided to just go with it since it instead just made it look like she was doing that on purpose), the image is tilted to its correct position, and it's just a hell of a lot cleaner. I spent a LITTLE more time on the below-neck area, but still not a whole lot.

Adult Sora Conceptualization
Playing 358/2 Days kind of awakened a Kingdom Hearts obsession within me, unfortunately. I had an urge to do conceptual art for it, but not in super exaggerated anime style or creepy yaoi fashion like a lot of KH art seems to be. :( I wanted to make an older, more realistic looking Sora (note the hair) as he could potentially appear in KH3. I tried to be consistent with KH's clothing style while still making it my own, and every time I look at it, I feel more and more like it's too, I don't know, medieval? Granted, this would stick out like a sore thumb in any kind of medieval setting, but I just can't find the right word. It just doesn't seem modern enough for KHverse. Also, you can tell I didn't spend a whole lot of time on the keyblades. The Kingdom Key is so-so, and on paper, the other one cut off. I spent hardly any time going over it on tablet, which resulted in it being chopped off, and uh, not even straight. ;| Will fix. Oh yeah, and you'll notice the unfinished keyblade is Aqua's. Why? Well uh, BECAUSE IT LOOKED COOL. Use your imaginations here for this one.

Sora: Coloring Progress
Coloring progress on above picture for anyone who cares. You can kinda see the stages. Bottom legs have barely been touched, torso is nearing completion, upper legs are being worked on, etc.

BAD GUY (Unfinished)
The potential villain in a story I'm working on. Partially inspired by Ganondorf, with a picture of Big Boss used as a base reference. I squared up the jaw a bit, amongst other things. Far from finished. Oh yeah, and he's not human. ;| That's uh, why he's got dark grayish skin and junk.

Oh, and I may as well post this. Just drew it today during a board game.

Revamped Sora
A new jab at newer Sora, drawn mainly out of boredom during a board game we were playing, and the fact that my sister has been asking me for help with 358/2 Days the whole day. ;| Hasn't been outlined yet, but you get the basic idea. I feel like the outfit is more in line with KH's consistency, while still achieving the things I wanted. The roughness/incompletion kind of hides it right now though. Again, in this one he's wielding Terra's keyblade. I HAVE NO EXPLANATION. Maybe he stole it from that optional boss fight in FM+ or something. Again, use your imaginations here. I just think it's one of the most badical looking Keyblades in franchise history.

Now, I did these for my concentration for my AP Art class. I knew going in that the AP graders would hate it and that it's nothing close to real "art," but I didn't really care. They're drawn with Sharpie, and colored with watercolor. Every picture is an original pose with no reference, save for Wolverine, and parts of Rorschach. That being said, here they are. I actually don't even like the majority of them, mainly because I was a lazy bastard so many of them are the product of rushing to meet a deadline, thus resorting to either lazy poses, weak coloring, sloppy style, or a combination of all three. You'll probably be able to tell which ones they are. Anyway, here ya go:

Cervantes (Soul Calibur/4)
One of the ones I like, even though I essentially did the entire thing in a night.

Young Link (Majora's Mask)
I wanted to do Young Link, mainly because he's one of the most underrated characters of gaming in my opinion. I went with Majora's Mask, since that's my favorite iteration of him and the most rarely seen.

Wolverine
One of my favorites, though I feel like a cheater since all I did was copy an existing pose and stylize it.

Rorschach
Although I like it, the general consensus has been love or hate. I experimented with the rain effect by dripping the watercolor, and that will make or break the picture for people.

Ganondorf (OOT)
I originally intended to do a Wind Waker Ganondorf, as that's my favorite incarnation of the character, but when this moment appeared in my mind, I knew it's what I wanted to do; the epic moment before his transformation into Ganon. I have mixed feelings about this one. In some ways I feel like some of the awesomeness was lost with the color, as I don't think I made him stick out enough.

Big Boss (MGS3)
Though I like how the end result turned out, this one is a personal disappointment to me. Big Boss is my favorite character in all of video games, so I wanted to do something truly epic with his picture. Unfortunately, I consistently had problems getting a satisfactory pose that BB was worthy of, and when I had to meet a deadline, I settled with a cheap face shot. To make myself feel a tiny bit better, I tried to mimic Shinkawa's style, though I think I only slightly succeeded.

Link (OOT)
Possibly my least favorite. This was turning out to be one of my best with the pencil sketch. I was a little too liberal with the Sharpie, making it lose some of its awesomeness. Then my teacher demanded a colored version and it turned into this mess. It's plain, ugly, and rushed in my opinion. An amazing picture that decreased massively in quality with each step towards completion.

Kratos
Don't really know how I feel about this one. Still trying to decide if I like or don't like it. Eh.

Samus
Another disappointment, and other contender for least favorite. I wanted to show Samus' unmasked face without turning her into cheap eye candy by doing the Zero Suit route, which is what I've seen the majority of people do. I wanted to show the inherent tough/awesomeness of Samus, while still showing her as a woman. This one is like Big Boss, in the sense that I settled for less with one of my favorite characters of gaming. Had I more time, I would've used an entirely different pose, and it could've looked amazing. But, everything in this picture is sloppy and lazy. The armor doesn't even look like it fits together because I so hastily drew it, it lacks detail, the coloring is primitive, and, ugh.

Deadpool
Eh. Another one I colored in one night. Can you see what I was trying to achieve with the weird abstract background? Me neither.

valor-key

garrrh, i wish i could draw that good... all very good. about the Kratos, i think his right arm is a little small... i like the Rorsach & eye(even though its an exercise) best !

Wintertide

Sp00ky GuRl
Awards
I think your best one was the drawing of the girl. Keep on practicing.

maian

Thanks guys. Yeah, I actually hate a lot of the proportions on the watercolor images. So many of them were drawn extremely hastily, and the time crunch butchered the end result. Buuut, I like them enough to post them. And yeah, it seems people either love or hate the Rorschach. I didn't like where it was going at first so I just decided to go crazy with its style. I liked it in the end.

I've posted on several boards before, so I have to wonder, what do Kingdom Hearts fans think of my two Sora pictures? They were done fairly quickly, but I think it'd be interesting seeing what a KH specific demographic thinks about them.

Vayne Mechanics

Expert of Asian things
Awards
your rorschach is the most interesting image if not your technical "best"
Agreed.

Rorshach was the most interesting and felt like the most completed piece.

Similarly, you can definitely see the improvement of the design in the revamped sora one. Much better.

maian

Thanks, I'll agree with that. I'd like to start going over the newer Sora with the tablet since I just like his overall design more. Though it'll look a lot better when it's crisp, I was kind of leaning for a mixture of Sora/Roxas' style. He inherits Roxas' pants and jacket while still retaining his traditional Sora elements like the zipper overshirt hoodie thing, his belts and bags and gloves, and etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back