• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Serial Experiments Lain

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

quitejaded

I Do Phoenix.
Website
xanga.com
Did anyone enjoy this show as much as I did? I was totally into it. And had been trying to find similar shows. Someone suggested I see Evangelion. Not sure if I spelt it right. Mmmm. No. Doesn't satisfy. Not nearly as good as Lain was. At least when it came to mindscrewing.

Paranoia Agent. I liked it, but its not quite what I was looking for.
Phantom Boogiepop. I haven't been able to get my hands on. If I can say no one knows about SEL, even less know about PB.

I remember when I first read DeathNote manga. I thought it was going to end up being something like SEL, but again, I was disappointed. I want something that's not afraid to go all the way.

So. Advices? I am looking forward to. :)

69.jpg

Vandread

Impossible Soul
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
I really need to rewatch Lain some time. I really liked it but had a hard time following what was going on. Hopefully a few years may have made a difference. Good to see you mention Boogiepop too; that was another show I loved watching but didn't fully understand back then. The OP Yuudachi still occasionally pops up in my head too.

Though, you mentioned mindscrewing and Paranoia Agent. Have you seen anything else from Satoshi Kon? Try Perfect Blue and Paprika.

Also, Death Note was about mind games, not mindscrewing.

afrobutt

Silver Member
lain was an interesting experience

as for similar series, the only show that comes to mind is bakemonogatari. they're similar in the sense that they spend large gaps of time talking about deep stuff and are off the wall (though bakemonogatari is much less serious)

Duo_forbidden

Dance with the Dark Side
Serial Experiments Lain is SO much better than Paranoia Agent. As for an anime similar to Lain, Ergo Proxy and Appleseed comes to my head.

Vandread

Impossible Soul
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
lain was an interesting experience

as for similar series, the only show that comes to mind is bakemonogatari. they're similar in the sense that they spend large gaps of time talking about deep stuff and are off the wall (though bakemonogatari is much less serious)

Bakemonogatari isn't really like Lain other than it can be kinda hard to follow. That's just SHAFT's signature LOL DIALOGUE in every series.

Serial Experiments Lain is SO much better than Paranoia Agent. As for an anime similar to Lain, Ergo Proxy and Appleseed comes to my head.

Appleseed? What? How is that similar to Lain?

Yeshallbeasgods

I regret to say, I never saw it. I want to though, from everything I've heard about it. I can't find any dvds are anything at Borders though, so I guess I'll have to order them sometime.

I do have an art book I got for my birthday one year. The art is fantastic, from what I see in the book. I'd like to read the manga to see more of it.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I love Lain and have the artbook as well.

If you are going for mindfuck then try Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni.
The tech theme, Denno Coil.

I haven't seen SE:L in a year so I can't figure out what to suggest.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
Umm, how about Texhnolyze? Granted, that one is just . . . out there, but it's good nonetheless.

Trag

Bronze Member
I made a thread about Lain a while back, I think. Anyway, I love the series. I remember when my brother bought them a while ago, and I just recently downloaded the subbed versions.

var1ables

Play hard, go pro.
Awards
Maybe it was because i love literary interpretation or something, but i always just got this anime(same with neon genesis evangelion, i've had to explain it to people who didn't understand it....including people older than me). The whole thing was incredible, i always want to go back and watch it, because i was like twelve when i first saw it.

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I've only seen 2 episodes of it and really liked what I saw.

I know I should rewatch it and finish it but I keep forgetting to.

How many episodes does it have again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back