• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Scientology

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

quitejaded

I Do Phoenix.
Website
xanga.com
Forgive me if this topic has been raised before, but I have been doing some research on this organization. I even went inside a church.

It seems to me that people opposed to this organization are not opposed to the doctrine.

They are opposed to the bad things scientology has done to people. That is, putting people in debt and allowing them do die/killing them.

Okay, so I don't have quite an understanding of what exactly it means to be a cult. I don't know the characteristic behaviours of cults and their leaders. I just want to understand some things about scientology and the way you view it:

1. What exactly is the purpose of scientology? Why does it take drastic measures to keep its name in "good standing"? If the IRS found no monies being used for non-religious purposes, it can't be a money-scheme to make a few people rich, can it?

2. How can Scientology force someone to do their bidding? In particular, I am talking about Lisa. Scientology's favourite phrase for pulling in people is "What is right for you is right for you". If Lisa felt psychiatry would be right for her, how could scientology officials force her to not get the help she wanted? I simply cannot comprehend it. I can see "If you do this, you can't reach OT 7" but... according to my research, it didn't go down like that.

3. I have been looking into the "seperate" organizations that are associated with Scientology. Hm, I don't like hardly any of them. I especially have a disdain for the Sea Org. But Applied Scholastics. Looks good. People try to tell me its not good. I have yet to find a compelling argument to keep me from using the basic tenets of Applied Scholastics in my life. So why the hoopla about it? Because it has L Ron Hubbard's name on it? Is this kind of prejudice wise? Am I mistaken somewhere?

very differentiable
Awards
It's doctrine? Somehow an evil alien locked aliens from another kind in a volcano here on earth and the "souls" of these aliens adhered to humans. I'm not opposed to that, it's utterly ridiculous and no person would ever admit to have such belief.

quitejaded

I Do Phoenix.
Website
xanga.com
LOL, well if you are a scientologist you are not ALLOWED to admit to that belief to the general public. :p
And anyway, I don't really care to debate about the inner doctrine of scientology. Because:

A) We don't know it. We're not scientologists. Sure, we can get our hands on some leaked texts that we supposedly will get sick from reading, but how many of us have actually read?

B) Does it really matter? There are speghetti-monster "worshippers", Zombie-Herculese worshippers, Spidey-legged diety worshippers... there are all kinds of religions with all kinds of mythologies. So this one involves aliens. Big deal. Big whoop. Who cares?

very differentiable
Awards
They have one god, conceiled by their doctrine, their true god is money. They just needed a story to make it seem legitimate and hubbard was an SF-writer coincidentally. The fact that they declare someone fair game for his or her criticism and thus being their own judge is what bothers me. That alone should make that cult, which it truely is, forbidden. Christians, jews or even spaghetti believers have ridiculous claims too, but they don't go around to murder people (with a few exceptions).

Awards
there are all kinds of religions with all kinds of mythologies. So this one involves aliens. Big deal. Big whoop. Who cares?

Except that this thread isn't about any of those things, this thread is about one ridiculous religious system in particular.

quitejaded

I Do Phoenix.
Website
xanga.com
And yet no one so far has been able to answer what is the whole point of Scientology? What is the point of their transgressions? What exactly are protestors trying to stop?

_EX

ShadowSoldier V2.0
And yet no one so far has been able to answer what is the whole point of Scientology? What is the point of their transgressions? What exactly are protestors trying to stop?

I dont think we will know for sure until they completely unvail their beliefs.

From what I can tell (what South Park taught me etc) they have no God but believe a set of universal rules about life.

_EX

ShadowSoldier V2.0
The Church, which is a really fucking wicked organization. Most of the protesters aren't concerned with the religion itself.

Its because they dont know what they do so people think they have something to hide.

Awards
I'm pretty sure that it's because we do know what sort of things the church is involved in that so many people actively protest it.

_EX

ShadowSoldier V2.0
I'm pretty sure that it's because we do know what sort of things the church is involved in that so many people actively protest it.

The church hasnt released their full beliefs. Its all specualtion from people who say they know. Thats what I have been told anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back