• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Recommendations for DS

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lifes.Lover

For the deeds of today resonate....
Website
lifes-lover18.livejournal.com
Well, another Christmas has come and gone. Well, to those that celebrate, anyway.

Because of the new Kingdom Hearts game set to come out within the next year (358/2 Days), I took it upon myself to ask for a Nintendo DS for Christmas. One of two things, actually.

And it certainly worked to my advantage because, lo and behold, I now have in my possession a really wonderful DS lite.

There's a problem, though. :(

Although my DS was a bundle, and I did recieve a game with it- Brain Age (how wonderfully exciting and stimulating!)- I find myself with a new console and one game that I won't be able to play for hours on end.

There's only so much Sudoku a person can play.

So, this is me asking you guys out there (who are far more knowledgable about the best games to play) what games I should buy and play for the DS, while waiting for 358/2 Days to come out.

Now, I'm not the type who goes for a beat 'em up and shoot 'em type game. The closest I come to that is GTA. I definitely am not one for games that are just mini-games.

I like RPGs, action/adventure, something with story and plot to it.

However, to save myself some gas, and not take my questions to the nearest GameStop, I wanted to see if there were any games that you could recommend to me, that fit with my criteria.

If you could please include the title (obviously), and perhaps a little synapsis of the game, I would be much appreciative.

There's no point to owning a console with no games to play for it. -_-

And, if you can think of one off the top of your head, perhaps some for the PSP? This one I have already, but I don't own many games for it, either.

Lifes.Lover

Website
Seriously you dumbfucks, it's not that hard.

Ooh, burn! That seriously hurt! I'm crying a river.

I have looked at that thread, and I have seen the games on there. But, I have no idea what kind of games they are, or if they're about the same sort of things that I like. Therefore, my specific thread.

Jakenkyo

A good adventure series for the DS is the Castlevania series.
If you don't know what the game deals with, theres a family called the Belmont family that hunt down vampires with their whip "vampire killer" and every game you mostly play as one of the Belmont's descendents and go to Draculas Castle, beat the crap out of him and the end, but theres always more to it, other characters come in and every game has a main story in common but with their own side story to it, every game you play as a different generation.

Theres 3 Castlevania games on the DS right now

-Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (though I reccomend you don't play it if you haven't played the first game Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow for the GBA, its the only Castlevania game that has two parts though)
-Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (has new fresh characters and story line with the same aspects as the other games so you won't be confused in that one, one of my favorites too)
-Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (haven't played this one yet...)

or if you prefer a RPG game from enix then like most people would suggest, The World Ends With You
Kinda complex to explain but you can read about it here: The World Ends with You - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
and the official site from enix: THE WORLD ENDS WITH YOU | SQUARE ENIX

I got it two days ago and its REALLY good <3
And you'll love the character designs if your a fan of Nomura's designs (the zippers and spiky hair give it away though, hah.)

hope that clears things up a bit.

Lifes.Lover

Website
A good adventure series for the DS is the Castlevania series.
If you don't know what the game deals with, theres a family called the Belmont family that hunt down vampires with their whip "vampire killer" and every game you mostly play as one of the Belmont's descendents and go to Draculas Castle, beat the crap out of him and the end, but theres always more to it, other characters come in and every game has a main story in common but with their own side story to it, every game you play as a different generation.

Theres 3 Castlevania games on the DS right now

-Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (though I reccomend you don't play it if you haven't played the first game Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow for the GBA, its the only Castlevania game that has two parts though)
-Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (has new fresh characters and story line with the same aspects as the other games so you won't be confused in that one, one of my favorites too)
-Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (haven't played this one yet...)

or if you prefer a RPG game from enix then like most people would suggest, The World Ends With You
Kinda complex to explain but you can read about it here: The World Ends with You - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
and the official site from enix: THE WORLD ENDS WITH YOU | SQUARE ENIX

I got it two days ago and its REALLY good <3
And you'll love the character designs if your a fan of Nomura's designs (the zippers and spiky hair give it away though, hah.)

hope that clears things up a bit.

AH, thanks! I've never heard of the Castlevania series, so I'll definitely try it. Is that the order they're in? 'Cuz, the DS lite apparently plays GBA games (just started re-playing CoM on it today!), so I'll be able to play the Aria of Sorrow, even if I didn't own a GBA.

Also, I've somewhat heard of The Word Ends With You, but I don't remember hearing that it was on the DS.

I'll definitely look into it.

Thanks!

TWEWY.

Playing it. Loving it.

So you'd recommend it then, right? :D

Thanks!

Lancelot

It's the only NEET thing to do.
Awards
TWEWY definitely.

I'd say maybe FFXII:Revenant Wings. I just got it and I love it. It's more of the... how to say... well, you control the groups and set out to attack/gather/whatever, so it's fun

Jakenkyo

AH, thanks! I've never heard of the Castlevania series, so I'll definitely try it. Is that the order they're in? 'Cuz, the DS lite apparently plays GBA games (just started re-playing CoM on it today!), so I'll be able to play the Aria of Sorrow, even if I didn't own a GBA.

Also, I've somewhat heard of The Word Ends With You, but I don't remember hearing that it was on the DS.

I'll definitely look into it.
Well theres really no order to play them in, they all have a different story. Though some games have "suprises" that you'll only get if you've played the older games (Like Castlevania: Symphony of the Night for the PSX)
BUT! for the Castlevania that has two parts, the order is:
-Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
THEN PLAY:
-Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (DS)

And you'll get Castlevania: Portrai of Ruin if you haven't played the other games, its like a fresh new game so you'll get everything :)

I haven't played Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia yet but knowing Castlevania I know it'll kick ass xD

Oh duh I forgot the DS plays GBA games DX
I don't use it to play GBA games, I like playing GBA games on the GBA, it feels weird on the DS.

And yeah The World Ends With You is on the DS, its also called TWEWY for short! :)
You'll love it if you're a KH fan which I see you are -nods-

Lifes.Lover

Website
TWEWY definitely.

I'd say maybe FFXII:Revenant Wings. I just got it and I love it. It's more of the... how to say... well, you control the groups and set out to attack/gather/whatever, so it's fun

Sounds like a plan! Thanks, Bumblebee!

Well theres really no order to play them in, they all have a different story. Though some games have "suprises" that you'll only get if you've played the older games (Like Castlevania: Symphony of the Night for the PSX)
BUT! for the Castlevania that has two parts, the order is:
-Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
THEN PLAY:
-Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (DS)

And you'll get Castlevania: Portrai of Ruin if you haven't played the other games, its like a fresh new game so you'll get everything :)

I haven't played Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia yet but knowing Castlevania I know it'll kick ass xD

Oh duh I forgot the DS plays GBA games DX
I don't use it to play GBA games, I like playing GBA games on the GBA, it feels weird on the DS.

And yeah The World Ends With You is on the DS, its also called TWEWY for short! :)
You'll love it if you're a KH fan which I see you are -nods-

:D Thanks for the suggestions.

Ah, okay. Well, I have a GBA from way back in 2002, so it's kinda old, and the screen is a little... old. When I played the game on the DS, I was surpised to find that behind the save data page is actually a picture of CO, and not just a black screen. At least this way, I'll be able to play the game at night in the car. It does feel a little odd that the touch screen is black, though.

Yes, I'm a big KH fan, even though there are parts that I wish would just disappear. Nothing can be perfect, though, right?

Aucune Raison

DARLING SO THERE YOU ARE
If you like any sort of Zelda game, you should get Phantom Hourglass. It may be shorter than the other Zeldas, but it is fun to play and makes interesting use of the DS.

FFXII: Revenant Wings is interesting, but I have to say that the battle system is shit. It's basically an RTS with summoning and autocasting attack moving bleh. It's really not worth it unless you're a gignormous fan of FFXII.

Also, Super Mario 64 DS and Mario Kart DS are decent remakes (but they have a lot of new content, Kart moreso) of the original 64 titles. They both have online play.

Lifes.Lover

Website
I've never played any Zelda games. Are they any good?

And what does RTS stand for? Like I said, I'm not as knowledgable on games and their acronyms. I never finished FFXII, actually. I wasn't too much of a fan of the battle system. Tried to be like KH, in that you didn't have to go into a battle sequence, but not enough to make it actually enjoyable.

Thanks for the recommendations!

chaywa

A Picasso Reality
boxart_ds_hotel_dusk_room_215.jpg

Well yeah

S

Shadow Soldier

RTS stands for real time strategy. Which is basically what Command and Conquer games are.

These are the games I have on my R4 that I'm in love with.

The World Ends With You
Apollo Justice
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy 3
Mario Kart
New Super Mario brothers.

You should definitely check out Metacritic.com and look at their top DS games, all of them you should check out.

Angel

number one fan of teresa giudice
TWEWY
CHRONO FUCKING TRIGGER (if you've never played it before)
FF3
FF4

S

Shadow Soldier

I wouldn't recommend Phantom Hourglass, if you're going to get a Zelda game, get Links Awakening or Minish Cap. Phantom Hourglass just wasn't that fun. I bought it, played it for maybe 3 hours then never touched it, and this is coming from a huge Zelda fan.

Lifes.Lover

Website
boxart_ds_hotel_dusk_room_215.jpg

Well yeah

Does it have plot?

RTS stands for real time strategy. Which is basically what Command and Conquer games are.

These are the games I have on my R4 that I'm in love with.

The World Ends With You
Apollo Justice
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy 3
Mario Kart
New Super Mario brothers.

You should definitely check out Metacritic.com and look at their top DS games, all of them you should check out.

Okay, that sounds like a good idea. Can't go wrong with a Mario Bros. right? :D Thanks for clarifying about RTS. It makes sense now that you've explained it.

TWEWY
CHRONO FUCKING TRIGGER (if you've never played it before)
FF3
FF4

Ah, it's the Final Fantasy Fan member! Hai! I've never heard of Chrono Trigger. But it sounds like it might be good.

I wouldn't recommend Phantom Hourglass, if you're going to get a Zelda game, get Links Awakening or Minish Cap. Phantom Hourglass just wasn't that fun. I bought it, played it for maybe 3 hours then never touched it, and this is coming from a huge Zelda fan.

Oh, okay. Is that the only one on the DS? I mean, I have a couple of different consoles, but this is for that one console.

So... TWEWY sounds pretty popular, huh?

Marly

All right, don't have a crap attack
Awards
Phoenix Wright games for sure :3. Umm FF3 for sure, and FF4. The World Ends with You most definitely. Lol, I have Pokemon game, I dunno if you like that or not, it's alright. Mario Kart. I dunno, really.

S

Shadow Soldier

Phantom Hourglass is the only Zelda game for the DS that uses the controls. But Links Awakening (port of the SNES version which is epic) and Minish Cap are both Gameboy Advance games and both are extremely well done.

Chrono Trigger is basically a gamers choice. Majority of gamers and critics and everybody will say the single greatest game ever that beats Ocarina of Time and Final Fantasy VII is Chrono Trigger. It sells for about 400 bucks on ebay for the SNES version :) But it's for the DS as well. It's a must have.

Just don't get Super Mario 64 DS, god that was horrible, or Yoshi's Island or whatever it's called.

Angel

number one fan of teresa giudice
Ah, it's the Final Fantasy Fan member! Hai! I've never heard of Chrono Trigger. But it sounds like it might be good.

FF <3

Oh God, I could've recommended SO much more FFs. Those are the only ones I've really seen and liked.

FFXII RW is only if you MUST have all the Ivalice titles, I din't particularly love it, but I didn't exactly dislike it either.

FFTA2 is another fine choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back