• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Ridiculous

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

DanceMacabre

I think it is absolutely ridiculous how some people on these forums feel the need to state totally irrelevant things in a thread.
I'm talking specifically of statements like these
"This is not new info. Look before you post"
"This has been discussed before"
"This is very old news"
"This is the wrong section"
Like seriously, instead of screwing around and posting useless statements like these, concentrate on the question being asked or the topic being discussed. If you have already discussed this before, don't participate in the discussion.
Furthermore, a person new to forums would not be able to navigate the site properly anyways. I had trouble the first time, and I'm sure all of you did as well. It is for this reason that you get people posting in the wrong section. What I am suggesting is a tutorial for people new to the forums, and if there already exists one, than make it easier to find and access. As for the reason that people post things that have already been discussed before, they want to actually DISCUSS their opinions, not just post them. This means posting on an old discussion thread would be totally useless, because no one goes to old discussion threads. Posting a new thread about a topic already discussed before is fine, so that people new to the site can discuss it.
Don't flame.
Don't say unnecessary crap that won't ever make difference.
And don't be so friggin' ignorant to people new to this forum thing.
Thank you.

slinky

One Step at A Time
well if its in the wrong section the conversation should have never been started in that area quite frankly but yea some do stuff like that to get their post count up go figure then theres ppl like me who have been here since 2005 and havnt reached 1000 just depends on how desperate ppl are to get a post count they dont care about the question they just want look good in their post count area and then there are some who post true answer and still have like 5,000 post like some of our famed mods

and beleive me just cuz your posting this sadly dosnt mean ppl will listen

mods have sticky threads all over the place statng this stuff

some ppl just dont listen

Leonard

Married to Crimson ♥
My first question is:

Why the heck is this in the Forum Insanity section?
That's like asking to get ignored >.>

Anyway, there is a reason that people keep saying "This has been discussed before" or "This is old news". If we don't do that, people won't even get the chance to know what the problem is with their thread.
We ARE trying to get rid of these "OMG did you knoe aqua is mamber XIV LOL" threads because:

1. They are annoying.
2. They are, to a certain extend, even spamming the forums.

If we wouldn't tell them, then it would go on like this forever, without anyone knowing they are making a mistake. People should learn from their mistakes and these people telling them off are (most of them at least) trying to let them do so.

Sure, we can't expect anyone to browse through the whole forum to see if something has already been discussed, but there are some things that have been discussed so many times, it just hurts. I guess we can't complain about the newbies doing this (but again, here it is just pointing out that they have made a little mistake, and thats it)

Anyway, there is nothing wrong with pointing out the mistakes of other members as long as they are not rude and insult others. (And even if they do, flame back or just report)
But anyway, I don't think ^the above is the case yet.

As for the reason that people post things that have already been discussed before, they want to actually DISCUSS their opinions, not just post them. This means posting on an old discussion thread would be totally useless, because no one goes to old discussion threads. Posting a new thread about a topic already discussed before is fine, so that people new to the site can discuss it.

Then the thread maker should say beforehand that he is aware and made an extra thread. Then he wouldn't get those comments.

Silh

Slippery People
Awards
You're talking as if the people posting such things don't say anything else that contributes to the discussions, other than what you just specified.

Furthermore, a person new to forums would not be able to navigate the site properly anyways. I had trouble the first time, and I'm sure all of you did as well. It is for this reason that you get people posting in the wrong section. What I am suggesting is a tutorial for people new to the forums, and if there already exists one, than make it easier to find and access.
Furthermore, this is proof that common sense is dead.

This means posting on an old discussion thread would be totally useless, because no one goes to old discussion threads. Posting a new thread about a topic already discussed before is fine, so that people new to the site can discuss it.
I'm pretty sure there's a reason why they call it a "thread bump."

For those who think I'm being, quote, "so friggin' ignorant to people new to this forum thing," unquote, a "thread bump" is what occurs when someone posts in an old topic, which brings it up to the front page, making it a recent post and therefore making it available to the young'uns, such as yourself.

Dawning Twilight

The Egotistical Bastard
Making Out With DT Cause He's So Damn Sexy!
NOTE: DT is NOT by any means trying to be mean. it's just truth and honesty.

I think it is absolutely ridiculous how some people on these forums feel the need to state totally irrelevant things in a thread.
that smell it smells like a hypocrite!

"This is very old news"
said once it is not. it informs others that it is old rather than them getting egotistical and cocky. said twice is as you said irrelevant and stupid.

Like seriously, instead of screwing around and posting useless statements like these, concentrate on the question being asked or the topic being discussed.
No.

If you have already discussed this before, don't participate in the discussion.
No.

Furthermore, a person new to forums would not be able to navigate the site properly anyways.
it's called searching. take the time to search first. if that fails ask another person. site feedback/community board. that speaks for itself. only the ignorant would miss that.

I had trouble the first time, and I'm sure all of you did as well.
No.

It is for this reason that you get people posting in the wrong section.
Incorrect.

As for the reason that people post things that have already been discussed before, they want to actually DISCUSS their opinions, not just post them.
they can discuss/post about them in old threads or in the proper place. just because they post in an old thread doesn't mean it can't still be discussed there rather than in a new thread.

This means posting on an old discussion thread would be totally useless, because no one goes to old discussion threads.
F is for Failure. DT does in old discussion threads all the time. ignorant people are still ignorant.

Posting a new thread about a topic already discussed before is fine, so that people new to the site can discuss it.
Incorrect.

Don't say unnecessary crap that won't ever make difference.
Lol. no arguments?

Thank you.
no please by all means, i thank you.

This has been discussed before .
Lol.

Wrong section. Suggestions go here.
xD

This is very old news.

This has already been discussed before.
Lol.

Vayne Mechanics

Expert of Asian things
Awards
THIS IS NOT NEW INFO. LOOK BEFORE YOU POST.
mplayerc2008-02-0601-18-18-27.jpg

risingfalls

Disjoin Remorse From Power
ummm....thanks? Was this your forum good deed of the day or something? =/

What I am suggesting is a tutorial for people new to the forums, and if there already exists one, than make it easier to find and access

Anyway, I think that this is the site you would be looking for to educate the newbs on proper forum etiquette or whatever.
Click!

And there is the NAA. I mean, the link is in a few sigs commonly seen on the forums.
I had trouble the first time, and I'm sure all of you did as well.
lol. No.

And I don't see what's so hard about using the search button before you go making new threads. It's not like it's hidden or anything.

Last edited:

Mynny

Doing pudding pudding exercises during the day, ro
For those who think I'm being, quote, "so friggin' ignorant to people new to this forum thing," unquote, a "thread bump" is what occurs when someone posts in an old topic, which brings it up to the front page, making it a recent post and therefore making it available to the young'uns, such as yourself.

Ironically, I've done this. And guess what happened?

"This is very old news"

*anime vein*

"This is very old news"

No offense, but did you read wat u posted? Contradictory. They are talking about the thread, and therefore, it is relevant. If you put up a "Pie is Good" thread, and they tell u it's in the wrong section, it's prolly because the topic of pie being good does not belong there. Relevant.

posting useless statements like these

They r actually pretty useful for ppl who don't know that it is old news and has been discussed b4. And if ur thread is in the wrong section, ppl just saying 'it's in the wrong section' r bein pretty nice compared to those who r like "This is Forum Insanity! Sane stuff does not go here! Get the *bleep* out *bleep*! You're so stupid for putting this here!" so on and so forth. If ppl didn't tell u it was in the wrong section, u'd go on putting stuff in the wrong section and get flamed. Not fun.

Furthermore, a person new to forums would not be able to navigate the site properly anyways. I had trouble the first time, and I'm sure all of you did as well. It is for this reason that you get people posting in the wrong section.

I myself am new to forums, which is why I made sure to get used to the site before making any threads. And ppl who put threads in the wrong sections aren't always new or can't navigate the site properly, there are other reasons.

If you have already discussed this before, don't participate in the discussion.

This much I agree with.

What I am suggesting is a tutorial for people new to the forums, and if there already exists one, than make it easier to find and access.

Doesn't the Newb Adoption Agency help with that? Plz, seriously, sum1 correct me if I'm wrong. If that does help, then by the way, it's at the top in the Community Board section, which is not hard to find or access. If it does not help, then it's sort of your responsibility to find out by asking other members, sum of whom would be happy to help.

This means posting on an old discussion thread would be totally useless, because no one goes to old discussion threads.

If no one went to old discussion threads, there would be no such thing as thread revivals.

Posting a new thread about a topic already discussed before is fine, so that people new to the site can discuss it.

But then ppl could complain that you made a thread that already exists and become even more angry with you...

And don't be so friggin' ignorant to people new to this forum thing.

I'm not saying you are, but sumtimes it is ppl new to the forums that are the ignorant ones.

Not tryin to tear u apart or be rude, just sayin.....

Leonard

Married to Crimson ♥
And I don't see what's so hard about using the search button before you go making new threads. It's not like it's hidden or anything.

Well, I don't think that complete newbies, who just joined in the same day they wanted to discuss a topic, know that there is a search button. (I mean it's not really that big, you know...)

And I also don't think, people completely new to the forums would know that a topic has been already discussed (or consider checking first).

Searching a forum for similar threads is probably not something you do on every forum, or am I wrong?

risingfalls

Disjoin Remorse From Power
^Which is why I suggested this helpful little video.

I don't know about every forum, but the few I've been on have search buttons.
idk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back