• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Earth-like Planet found 20 Light-years away

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Samber

Your Mom's Mom's Daughter
Well you guys are saying we'll all croak before we even get near this, but techknowleagy (sp?) Gets better. in the 17 years my mom and dad have been married they went from computers that only typed to Ipods, TV on your phone, and Bill gates is inventing a holographic computer, it comes out of a watch.

So there is still a possibility we will see it in our lifetime.

Samber

Your Mom's Mom's Daughter
Umm yeah i do. 1 Light year is how far light travels in one year, and light speed is approx. 186,000 miles per second. do the math and light travels approx.
5,865,696,000,000 miles in one year soooo in 20 years it is....
117,313,920,000,000 miles. *whew* so yeah it's a lot. i'm saying we could possibly make contact with radio waves or somthing since it goes speed of light (right?)

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
It takes light 20 years to get there. Also, what makes you think there's something on the other side waiting to receive the signal?

Square Ninja

"special recipe"
Website
www.classicgaming.com
Umm yeah i do. 1 Light year is how far light travels in one year, and light speed is approx. 186,000 miles per second. do the math and light travels approx.
5,865,696,000,000 miles in one year soooo in 20 years it is....
117,313,920,000,000 miles. *whew* so yeah it's a lot. i'm saying we could possibly make contact with radio waves or somthing since it goes speed of light (right?)

Good. Now that you realize the distance. Think about how fast any of our spacecraft travel in relation to the speed of light.

Sky Bolt

Awards
Website
www.fanfiction.net
It is impossible for us to reach that planet in the lifetime of anyone alive now. We simply can't design, test and build a spaceship that can travel at anywhere near light-speed because at the moment, no one has any idea how that could be done. Theories propose that matter that exists at a subluminal speed (Slower than the speed of light) cannot accelerate to or exceed the speed of light. Because of this, we probably won't be able to ever design a spaceship that can reach light-speed.

Faster-than-light - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ViVi94

Trying to escape the land of idiots and retards
Well actually, they're working on the bone mass porblem now and theyve found a solution, what causes it is low gravity, so if you put them in a tiny version of a carnival ride that adds extra gravity(such as the Tornado) then you will keep a steady bone mass throughout the years.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
It would be impossible to travel there right now, I mean it would take 20 years at the speed of light(which is 3X10^8m/s). If there is life there and they aren't near as advanced as we are today, then neither of our races can ever meet until a long while from now if we send something to contact them now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back