• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

I made sea salt ice-cream =D

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xayn

Yay! Now I'm officially a dork! Ah ha ha. Once I saw how to make, I knew I had to do it. So here we are.

seasalt1.png

Another pic
And another

Sorry if the pics are too large.

Anyways, I followed the ingridients on the page, except I divided it all in half. I didn't want a whole bunch if it turned out tasting horrible - which it didn't!

It looks sloppy because I didn't have a mold or anything - I just made one out of tin foil =P I also didn't have an ice-cream maker. I just used my freezer. The ice cream was on the softer side, so it slid down the popcicle stick after a few minutes out of the freezer lol. It would be better in a bowl. And I wasn't sure what 'whipping cream' was so I used cool whip.

But otherwise, it tasted wonderful! I was surprised=D Sweet yet salty - but not too salty. I'd buy it if it were in stores.

C

cam ron 77

Hey that looks tastey. It makes me want to make some too.

Xayn

awesome, now only if i had the time and if i could not be so lazy

It didn't take too long. You just have to wait for it to cool and freeze =/ Lol I got impatient.

leonblaze

Website
www.myspace.com
Hey it looks tasty, not very bad for the first time does it, would you try next time with a mold so you can admired it more with your work. Just in case I am not saying it looks bad

Last edited:

snowbunnie

so does this mean you CAN make it properly without an icecream maker? =D *would be veery happy to know if i dont have to go out and spend money*

B]o[n]e[s

Wow, that looks soooo good!
I'm thinking of making some sea-salt ice-cream later this week. I just have to get the ingrdients.

So, you made it without an ice-cream maker? That awesome. Becasue then I know I'll be able to make one without it.... Hopefully. :thumbsup:

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Killing is easy once you forget the taste of sugar
Can you help me then?
With the "seperate the eggs" instructions, do I crack one egg in one bowl, and another in another? If not, what do I do differently?

What I did is I boiled 2 cups of milk in a pot, and mixed two eggs together with the sugar in one big bowl (scrambled em) then poured the hot milk in with the eggs and mixed that. I then poured that back into the pot, and heated it up for awhile. It didn't turn into a custard like the directions, but whatever, I poured it into a mold and let it cool in the fridge for a while, took it out, put some sea salt in, and then let it in the freezer overnight. When I tried it...the whole mold just smelled like eggs...and I tasted it and it was good, but you could distinctly taste the eggs, like it was pancake batter or whatever. Am I doing it right? o.o

It looks sloppy because I didn't have a mold or anything - I just made one out of tin foil =P I also didn't have an ice-cream maker. I just used my freezer. The ice cream was on the softer side, so it slid down the popcicle stick after a few minutes out of the freezer lol. It would be better in a bowl. And I wasn't sure what 'whipping cream' was so I used cool whip.

How'd you use tinfoil? You just poured the custard into a tin foil and wrapped it up? Didn't it spill?

I used whipped cream..not cool whip...lol.

Can you give me the exact directions you did PLEASE? :3

Of course, just pour the custard in a bowl and put it in your freezer. A few hours will make it creamy like ice cream, and overnight will make it like a popsicle :3 find a balance.

tetraalmasy

I'm back!
Can you help me then?
With the "seperate the eggs" instructions, do I crack one egg in one bowl, and another in another? If not, what do I do differently?

You separate the eggs. I think they mean the yolk from the whites. Whip the whites and then mix the yolk. you know how to do that right?

Xayn

Can you give me the exact directions you did PLEASE? :3

Here goes! I'll try to remember what I did (but do keep in mind that I halved all of the ingridients)

I had two bowls, and one egg. I separated the whites from the yolk and put the yolk in one bowl and the whites in the other.

Stir the whites until it thickens a bit.

Then I added about 1/4 cup of sugar to the bowl with the yolk and stirred it up. (It's more sugar than needed, but I like sugar =D)

I boiled 1 cup milk on medium heat (stirring occasionally), then poured the milk into the yolk/sugar bowl - stirred.

I put it all back into the pot, putting it on low heat and stirring quick to make it creamy. I turned up the heat to medium (don't let it boil though) and stirred some more. When you think it's creamy enough (I couldn't get mine to get that thick >.> but that's okay.)

Now pour it all back into the bowl and add the whites - stir. Now the fun part! Add some sea salt (I used regular salt and it tasted fine), and taste test. Keep adding salt until it's sweet yet salty (your own personal preference). (The reason I added salt before it was cooled is so the salt would dissolve in the warm mix. I dunno if it did anything special though).

Put into the fridge to cool.

Once cool, I added the blue food dye and 1 cup of whipped cream. Stir it it all up, and add more salt if it becomes too sweet.

You can now leave it in the bowl or pour it into a mold. (I folded one out of tin-foil, tee hee.) And then I stuck it in my freezer. I'd wait overnight, but I was impatient and pulled it out early. Probably why it was so soft, heh. (An ice cream maker would probably make firmer ice cream since it reaches lower temperatures than a freezer.)

Enjoy! =3

Xayn

How'd you use tinfoil? You just poured the custard into a tin foil and wrapped it up? Didn't it spill?

If you look at one of the linked pictures, you'll see it after I pulled the tinfoil down.

I just took a sheet of tinfoil, folded it, and made it into a nice little tray. After it froze for a while, I stuck a popcicle in the side and let it freeze the rest of the way.

T

Tyler Durden

You can find WHIPPING cream in any dairy aisle. Not friggin whipped cream.

Separate the eggs= whites in one part, yolks in the other.

No, you do not need an ice-cream maker, but it is better.

There have been at least two other threads like this, and they were moved. I suggest the same with this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back